Is it time to call a DUI defense attorney to help?
If you’ve just gotten a ticket or summons or face jail time for driving under the influence, now is the time to get a DUI defense attorney’s help. You may have imbibed alcohol, prescription drugs, or any other mind altering substance, then operated a vehicle and been arrested, charged, or cited for doing so by a police officer… or, maybe you feel like this accusation is baseless. Either way, making a call to a DUI lawyer is a smart idea.
What Are Some DUI Offenses a DUI Defense Attorney Can Help With?
Some categories of DUI offenses where a person receives a summons in violation of the law concerning driving a vehicle while in a mental and physical state of under the influence of a controlled substance such as alcohol, include:
- Driving a vehicle and under 21 years of age with a blood alcohol content of .02% or more.
- Driving a vehicle and 21 years with a blood alcohol content of .08% or more.
- Driving a commercial vehicle with a blood alcohol content of .04% or more.
- Refusing to submit to a blood-alcohol test as requested by an officer of the law.
- Violating the “Open container” law by having alcohol containers with any amount of alcohol inside a moving vehicle.
- Categorized as a habitual offender of consecutive DUI offenses.
A DUI Attorney May Help You Avoid These Penalties
Some strong penalties for DUI violations involve different levels of offense types. These violation areas are as follows:
- First offense, jail time from 1 month to a year, fines of $300 to $1,000, and license suspension up to a year,
- Second offense, jail time from 3 days to a year, fines of $600 to $1,000, license suspension for three years, and the potential for an ignition interlocking device on the driver’s vehicle.
- Third offense, jail time of 15 days to a year, fines of $1,000 to $5,000, license suspension for five years, and an ignition interlocking device on the driver’s vehicle.
- Fourth offense, jail time of 1 to 5 years, fines of $1,000 to $5,000, license suspension indefinitely, and an ignition interlocking device on the driver’s vehicle.
How Can A DUI Defense Attorney Make a Difference?
A DUI defense attorney with a library of knowledge of the DUI laws can apply the law while exercising your rights. With a full understanding of the various venues for the criminal litigation, a lawyer can strategize with you to prepare and develop a case in defense of the offenses alleged against you.
Where Can I Locate a DUI Defense Lawyer in the Atlanta Area?
You can find a DUI defense lawyer by any of the following ways:
- Use a contact directory of DUI defense attorneys at your local library
- Google a list of local DUI defense attorneys
- Google DUI cases on the Internet for attorney references
- Ask friends or area attorneys to refer a DUI defense attorney
- Contact your local American Bar Association for referrals